Friday, August 28, 2009

Hardwood floor of the 4th floor apartment in Casa Pedrera.  

I'm not going to lie, at first glance I found Gaudi's architecture to be a bit tacky.  Yes, it's completely crazy looking, but what's so great about it?  After visiting a few of his masterpieces, I now know.  Gaudi's attention to detail is like nothing i've ever experienced; each aspect of his design is carefully considered and intentional based on pretty basic criterion; a couple of examples being the importance of natural light, and the emulation of nature (in the case of Casa Pedrera the inspiration is the ocean and its undulating waves).  This floor was beautiful (the floor of each room in the habitation is unique).  There are still parts of it that I don't necessarily like, but his overall aesthetic is consistent, his vision so uninhibited , and I have a profound respect for his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment